The classic tomato and celery-based salsa is an accompaniment to Santa Maria-style barbecued tri-tip.
- Yield:Makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced (about 2 1/2 cups total)
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 scallions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 fresh California green chili (Poblano or Hatch can be substituted), diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
Combine tomatoes, celery, scallions, chili, cilantro, garlic, vinegar, and Worcestershire in a medium bowl and toss. Season to taste with salt. Let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Serve. Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container for up to 5 days.