Planning on whipping up some hummus but don't have any tahini on hand? Let peanut butter come to your rescue!
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (preferably unsweetened, but conventional is fine too)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts (optional, for serving)
- Pinch of smoked, hot paprika (optional, for serving)
Place the chickpeas, garlic, peanut butter, and lemon juice in a food processor and process until smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil with processor running. If necessary, add water by the tablespoon in between pulses until the desired texture is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and sprinkle the chopped peanuts and then the paprika on top, if desired. Drizzle with additional olive oil if desired. Serve with warm flatbread and vegetables.