This pitcher drink is tart and cooling.
Notes: We used Tazo Passion tea for this punch, but you can use whatever hibiscus tea you like, or make your own from dried hibiscus flowers. To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Yield:makes about 1 1/2 quarts, serving 6
- Active time: 8 minutes
- Total time:8 minutes
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves (about 30 leaves)
- 4 tablespoons simple syrup (see note)
- 1/2 cup juice from about 4 lemons
- 4 1/2 cups brewed hibiscus tea, cooled (see note)
- 1 cup aged rum such as Flor de Caña
- 1/2 cup chilled club soda
- 6 mint sprigs (optional garnish)
Place mint leaves and simple syrup in bottom of a lidded pitcher. Juice lemons and add lemon juice, cooled hibiscus tea, and rum to pitcher. Add 1 cup ice, stir and cover. Continue to step 2, or refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
When ready to serve, add club soda, stir gently, and pour into ice-filled serving glasses. Garnish with mint sprigs if desired.