- Yield:makes about three dozen meatballs; serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds fatty ground beef or pork
- 1/2 pound duck or chicken liver, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and sauté until the onions are softened but not browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add parsley and Worcestershire sauce and allow the mixture to cool.
Add ground beef, livers, bread crumbs, eggs, cumin, turmeric, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well with hands. Take a 1/2 teaspoon of mixture and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 10 seconds to cook, then tastes for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Using wet hands, form mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet. The meatballs should be barely touching. Bake until the meatballs are browned, 17 to 20 minutes. Serve as-is, or garnish with grated cheese and more herbs.