In this Southern riff on the French dish of salad with goat cheese toasts, homemade pimiento cheese stands in for goat cheese.
- Yield:serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 25 minutes
- For Pimiento Cheese:
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup pimientos, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- For Salad:
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens (about 4 loosely packed quarts)
- 1/4 cup juice from 2 to 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 (3/4-inch slices) baguette, toasted
Make Pimiento Cheese: Place cheeses in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until almost smooth. Add mayo, pimientos, black pepper, and cayenne and pulse until smooth. Transfer cheese to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Assemble Salads: Place lemon in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add a few drops of water if vinaigrette is too acidic. Place greens in a large bowl and toss with dressing. (You may not need all of the dressing). Divide salad among plates.
Top each slice of baguette with about 1 tablespoon pimiento cheese. Place two slices of baguette on each plate. Serve immediately.