This recipe makes puffy snickerdoodles. For flat, crisp cookies, follow the variations ingredient variation listed in the recipe.
To make these cookies even easier, use a cookie scoop for the dough.
Dairy-free: Omit the butter and use all shortening.
Soy-Free: Omit the shortening and use all butter.
Egg-free: These cookies don't work well egg-free.
- Yield:Makes about two dozen cookies
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:About two hours
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) white rice flour
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) sweet rice flour
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder (reduce to 1/4 teaspoon for flat, crisp cookies)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) shortening (replace with butter for flat, crisp cookies)
- 7 ounces (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
In small mixing bowl, whisk together white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. In large mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar together until a thick paste forms, about 30 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time. Blend thoroughly between each addition. Stop mixer and scrape down bottom and sides of the bowl. Add vanilla and mix until light and fluffy, about 20 seconds.
Stop mixer. Add dry ingredients. Turn on mixer. Blend until a dough forms. Cover dough and chill for two hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In small bowl, combined granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Roll dough, about 1 tablespoon each, into balls. Roll dough balls into cinnamon sugar mixture and then place on prepared cookie sheet. Cookies will spread. Be sure to space the at least 2-inches apart. (I usually bake 9 cookies per rimmed baking sheet.)
Bake until lightly golden brown and aromatic, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Allow cookies to cool for three minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.