- Yield:4 as a main course
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes plus overnight marination
- 10 to 12 ounces heart (beef, venison, yak, or other)
- for the marinade:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin or coriander, optional
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced, optional
- to garnish:
- segments of lime, for squeezing
To prepare heart, remove the gristle and sinews in the cavity by slicing them away. Cut the heart into 1-inch cubes.
Place the cubes of heart into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or up to a day.
Skewer the meat, about 4 to 5 cubes per skewer. Grill over high heat until slightly charred on the surface and rare to medium-rare inside, about 3 minutes. Turn the the skewers over mid-way. Serve immediately, with lime to squeeze over the heart.