Read more: The Nasty Bits: Lamb Ribs
- Yield:makes a dozen biscuits
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rendered fat, at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon more for brushing
- 1/4 cup cream cheese or more butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using a fork or your fingers, cut in the fat and the cream cheese until you see pea-sized chunks of fat. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the buttermilk, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula until just incorporated.
Dust your kneading surface with a bit of flour, then turn the dough onto the surface. Dust more flour on the top of the dough. Roll out the dough to a square with 1/2-inch thickness.
Using a sharp knife, cut the square into a dozen biscuits. Arrange the biscuits in the skillet or on a baking sheet so that they are just touching. Brush the tops with the melted fat. Bake until deeply golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.