- Yield:4 to 6 as an appetizer
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:2 hours and 20 minutes
- About a dozen sardines, or three per portion, cleaned and gutted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- One 2-inch piece of ginger, washed and thinly sliced
- Sections of lemon, for squeezing over the fish
Blot sardines on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine salt, sugar, soy sauce, rice wine, and ginger. Line up sardines on a platter and pour marinade on top, distributing liquid evenly. Cover platter with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to one day.
When ready to serve, turn on the broiler in oven and pat fish dry with paper towels. Line fish on a pan or skillet. Drizzle olive oil over the skins. Broil until skins are lightly brown and flesh has just begun to flake, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from broiler and squeeze on lemon juice, if desired. Serve immediately.