Perfect to eat with roasted meats or assertive cheeses, these pickled prunes will add zip to any meal.
Read more: In a Pickle: Pickled Prunes
- Yield:makes 1 generous pint
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:60 minutes
- 1 pound pitted prunes
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small blood orange, zest removed with peeler
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 3 allspice berries
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch sea salt
Combine prunes and red wine vinegar in a medium saucepan.
Add strips of blood orange zest and juice the fruit into the pan.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the prunes have plumped and the liquid has reduced to a thin syrup.
Remove pan from heat and let prunes cool a little.
Spoon into a jar and refrigerate. Pickled prunes will keep in the fridge for up to one month.