High quality chocolate, chipped by hand, is the secret to this delicious cake.
Read more: Let Them Eat: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Yield:Serves 16 to 24
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:2 hours, 15 minutes
- For the Cake
- Baking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- For the Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
For the Cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 17 1/4- by 11 1/2-inch jelly roll pan with baking spray.
Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl; reserve.
In large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Add vanilla and beat just to incorporate.
Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk.
Stir in chopped chocolate and optional walnuts.
Scrape batter into prepared pan, making sure surface is even. Bake until cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely, about 1 hour.
For the Chocolate Drizzle: Bring cream, corn syrup, and salt to simmer in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Alternatively, microwave cream in microwave-safe container.
Place chocolate in medium bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate and stir until completely melted. Drizzle over cooled cake and allow to set, about 15 minutes.
Cut cake into 24 pieces and serve.