When we mixed this up in the office, AHT editor and photographer extraordinaire Robyn Lee said: "What is that? That looks like a salad..." Appearances aside, it's delicious to drink (and chew.) Be sure to muddle well to make sure the fennel flavor translates into the drink.
Recipe from Sean McClure of Craft in NYC.
- Yield:makes 1 non-alcoholic cocktail
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 3 kumquats, cut in half
- 3 heaping tablespoons chopped fennel
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- Fever Tree tonic water
- Garnish: 1 kumquat, sliced in rounds, on a toothpick
Combine and muddle the 3 kumquats, the chopped fennel, lemon juice and agave nectar in a shaker.
Add orange juice and ice. Pour the entire contents of the shaker into a
large old-fashioned glass, top with the tonic water and garnish.