The plank served mainly as a way to grill the meatloaf without it falling apart. But the wood imparts a nice smokiness to a dish amped up with herb stuffing and a barbecue sauce glaze.
Read more: Grilling: Planked Meatloaf
- Yield:Serves 6
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 1/2 hours
- For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 ounces herb stuffing
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2/3 pound ground beef chuck
- 2/3 pound ground veal
- 2/3 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 wood plank, soaked in water for at least 1 hour prior to use
- 1 small chunk of light smoking wood, such as apple or cherry
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: Medium-high
To make the glaze, mix together ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place stuffing, chili powder, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until stuffing is finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add in onion and red pepper and cook until onions have softened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with stuffing mixture.
Add beef, veal, pork, milk, eggs, parsley, and salt to bowl and mix with hands until thoroughly combined.
Line a loaf pan with wax or parchment paper. Pour out meatloaf mixture into pan and press down, forming a loaf. Turn loaf out wood plank and remove pan and paper.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate and place wood chunk directly on top of coals. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Place planked meatloaf on cool side of grill, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Brush meatloaf all over with glaze, cover, and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer registers 155 degrees when inserted into middle of meatloaf, about 40-60 minutes more. Remove from grill, lest rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.