You can substitute chopped nuts for chocolate chips, if desired, or omit the chips entirely. The dessert is best served cold from the freezer. To prevent the glaze from cracking upon cutting be sure to chill to firm the glaze, cut the sticks then freeze. For best results, dust the pan with unsweetened cocoa instead of flour.
- Yield:Makes 48 mint sticks
- Active time: 1 hour
- Total time:1 1/2 hours
- For the Brownies
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) sifted all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) chocolate chips
- For the Filling
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cream (or whole milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Glaze
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 9” square cake pan.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour and salt. Set aside.
In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set aside until cool to touch.
Beat eggs until foamy and stir in sugar, melted chocolate, vanilla and peppermint extract. Add flour, salt and chocolate chips, and mix thoroughly. Pour into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool while making filling.
In the bowl of a stand mixer combine butter, sugar, cream, peppermint extract and vanilla and mix until smooth. Spread thinly over cooled brownies. Return brownies to refrigerator while making glaze so filling has a chance to harden (a few minutes in the freezer will also do the trick).
To prepare glaze: Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside until it's cool to touch. Dribble glaze over the chilled firm filling. Tilt the pan back and forth until glaze covers the entire surface. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Cut into strips 2 1/4” long and 3/4” wide. Return strips to freezer until you're ready to serve.