Swapped at the 2011 Cookie Swap by SE intern alum Katie Quinn.
- 1 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Heat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
Beat the shortening and sugars in a large bowl just enough to blend well. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add the oats and chocolate, and mix again. Add the flour mixture, mixing well. Stir in the nuts.
Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the parchment-lined baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until toasted on the edges but still moist in the center, about 12 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.