These spooky cupcakes have a deep cocoa base and marshmallow frosting
Cupcake bottom adapted from Martha Stewart
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- For Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- For Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 36 dark chocolate baking chips
Make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tin with holders.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat butter together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
Beat in 1/2 flour mixture, followed by sour cream. Beat in remaining flour mixture. Pour batter into cupcake holders.
Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat butter for 1 minute. Add confectioners' sugar and milk and beat until smooth. Add marshmallow fluff and beat until well combined. If needed, continue to mix until frosting is proper fluffy consistency.
Frost each cupcake. Cut 24 of the baking chips in half. Place two halves on each cupcake to serve as eyes. Add one whole chip below eyes to serve as mouth.