This traditional British split pea soup gets extra flavor from bacon.
- Yield:6 to 8
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 2 peices uncooked bacon, diced
- 1 pound split peas
- 2 48-ounce containers chicken broth
- 3 pieces bacon (optional, for garnish)
In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add split peas and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Cover soup and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until peas are soft, stirring occasionally, about one hour.
When soup has cooled slightly, use an immersion blender to puree soup to an almost smooth consistency. Alternatively, puree soup in batches in a food processor.
If desired, cook extra three pieces of bacon until crisp. Dice and sprinkle over soup as garnish.