This orange and whiskey cocktail from Joann Spiegel would be a great mimosa substitute, refreshing but complex, with a cardamom-clove simple syrup to contribute a little spice and bitters to mellow the sweetness.
- For spiced simple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole cardamom
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- For the cocktail:
- 2 ounces Michael Collins Blended Irish Whiskey
- 1/4 ounce Bärenjäger Honey Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce spiced simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- 1 dash orange bitters
- Garnish: orange twist
For the spiced simple syrup, bring water, sugar, cardamom, and cloves to a boil. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Add saffron and orange zest, let cool, store in airtight container overnight. Strain before using.
For the cocktail, combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and strain into a highball glass over fresh ice and garnish with orange twist.