A spicy Asian-inspired chicken noodle soup.
Adapted from epicurious.com
Read more: Serious Entertaining: Comfort Me With Ginger
- Yield:serves 6
- Active time: 35 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 24 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or other chili sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 3 inch strips
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 6 ounces soba noodles
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
In a large pot, combine broth, chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and lime juice. Bring to a boil then cook, boiling, for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and add chicken and mushrooms. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
While chicken is cooking, fill a medium pot with cold water. Bring water to a boil, and add soba noodles. Cook for four minutes, then drain noodles and set aside.
Add scallions, snap peas, red pepper, and zest to broth. Let cook one minute. Take off heat.
Divide noodles among serving bowls, then ladle in soup. Garnish with cilantro.