Coffee-infused wine and chocolate bitters makes this an excellent (but not too sweet) post-dinner drink. Cocchi Vermouth di Torino and Aztec chocolate bitters are available online. In summer, it's good on ice (with a lemon curl), but as the weather cools, skip the ice and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Recipe from Damon Gravina of Ardesia.
- For the coffee-infused red wine
- 5 tablespoons whole Italian roast coffee beans
- 1 750 mL bottle dry Italian red wine
- For the star anise syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 12 star anise
- For the cocktail
- 3 ounces coffee-infused red wine
- 1 ounce Cocchi Vermouth di Torino, chilled
- 2 teaspoons star anise syrup
- 2 dashes Fee Brothers Aztec bitters
- Ice (optional)
- Garnish: cinnamon stick or lemon curl
For the coffee-infused red wine: Add coffee beans to bottle of wine, close with stopper and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain before using.
For the star anise syrup: Bring water, sugar, and star anise to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let infuse for 30 minutes. Strain and bottle, keep refrigerated.
For each drink: in a wine glass, stir coffee-infused wine, Cocchi vermouth, star anise syrup, and chocolate bitters. Add ice if desired and garnish.