Succulent oven roasted chicken, juicy red grapes, crunchy cashews and celery dressed in a delicately spiced curry dressing. This is a welcome change from ordinary chicken salad, which is all too often dry and bland. Serve it for a fall picnic while the weather's still warm or over greens for a light dinner.
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (or 3 cups cooked chopped chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (recommended: Hellmann's)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted cashews
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Arrange chicken breasts skin-side up on baking sheet. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until done. Let cool.
In the meantime, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, honey and salt in a medium bowl.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and pull meat off bones. Cut into small bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to dressing, along with cashews, celery, grapes and scallions; toss well. Taste, adjust seasoning and add pinch of cayenne pepper if desired.