A simple, not-too-sweet apple bread that's spiced with cinnamon and ginger.
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples, with peel, seeds, and core removed
- 1 teaspoon butter, for greasing pan
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 5- by 10-inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat eggs for 30 seconds with a fork. Add vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar, and brown sugar to the bowl. Stir until well combined. Whisk in vegetable oil.
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in two additions, mixing until just combined. Stir apples into batter until evenly distributed.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with remaining one tablespoon sugar. Bake bread until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes.