- Yield:serves 8
- Active time: 35 minutes
- Total time:1 hour, 10 minutes
- 3 hot sausages
- 3/4 cup plus one tablespoon olive oil
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced
- 35 ounces canned plum tomatoes, diced, with juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- For Garnish:
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook sausages until cooked through. Remove sausage and set aside.
Add 1/2 cup olive oil to skillet. Once hot, add zucchini and squash and sauté until fork-tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer zucchini and squash to a large pot or dutch oven.
Add 1/4 cup olive oil to skillet. Sauté onions, garlic, and peppers until tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to dutch oven.
Add tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, pepper, salt, and fennel seeds to dutch oven. Turn heat to medium low. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
Add kidney beans, chickpeas, lemon juice, and parsley to dutch oven. Cook for 10 minutes. Chop sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and add to dutch oven. Cook for 5 minutes.
Serve chili with cilantro, cheese, and sour cream passed alongside.