Most traditional recipes use semi-sweet chocolate chips and sweetened flake or shredded coconut, but if you have access to really good dark chocolate chips and unsweetened shredded coconut, it will cut the sweetness factor substantially. If desired you can substitute your favorite nut instead of the peanuts. Any plain potato chips will do, but chips with ridges lend a nice textural element.
Read more: American Classics: Kitchen Sink Bars
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed plain potato chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1/8 cup coarsely chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour melted butter into 9 x 13 baking dish. Swirl around to evenly distributed the butter. Add graham cracker crumbs and toss until crumbs are thoroughly coated. Distribute crumbs and press into pan.
Pour sweetened condensed milk over the graham crust and gently spread with a spatula to evenly distribute it. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips, potato chips, pretzels, peanuts, coconut and salt.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crust and edges begin to brown. Cool and cut into squares to serve.