Read more: The Nasty Bits: Jellyfish
- Yield:4 as an appetizer
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 package jellyfish packed in salt, about 10 ounces
- 2 green onions, thiny sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground (optional)
- a drizzle of sesame oil (optional)
- chopped cilantro to garnish
To prepare the jellyfish, rinse the jellyfish under cold running water. Then fill a large bowl with cold water and let the jellyfish soak for an hour, until the strands are supple and not salty. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, brown the garlic and scallions in the oil over low heat in a wok or saute pan. When browned, add the jellyfish and the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly, then garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve cold or tepid. Leftover jellyfish may be refrigerated for 4-5 days.