Read more: The Food Lab: All About Asparagus
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and peeled (if desired)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Heat oil in a 12-inch straight-sided sauté pan over high heat until lightly smoking. Add asparagus in as close to a single layer as possible, season with salt and pepper, and cook without moving until lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Shake pan and cook until browned again, 1 1/2 minutes longer. Add stock and butter to pan and immediately cover.
Continue to cook until asparagus is completely tender and stock and butter have emulsified and reduced to a shiny glaze, 7 to 10 minutes. If stock completely evaporates and butter starts to burn before asparagus is cooked through, top up with a few tablespoons of water. Serve immediately.