- Yield:eight as a hearty side dish or six as an entree
- Active time: 1/2 hour
- Total time:3 hours
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- a handful of chili pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepepr
- 1 smoked ham hock, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 1 pound black eyed peas, rinsed and soaked overnight in cold water, then drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350°. Heat the oil in the pot and sweat the onion over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the celery and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the hock and enough water to cover the hock completely. Add the chili peppers, bay leaf, thyme, and pepper. Bring the water to a boil, then cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, add the black eyed peas to the pot and put the pot back into the oven, this time uncovered. Cook for another 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans and pork are tender. Serve with your choice of sides, such as collard greens or kale.