Read more: Secret Ingredient for Chili: Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Two (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- One (12-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (preferably unsweetened)
- Two (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- One (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- One (15-ounce) can whole sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice (for serving)
- 1 cup coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (for serving)
- 1 cup chopped scallions (for serving)
In large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes and their liquid, black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes to pot. Let simmer for 5 minutes and then add tomato paste, vegetable stock, and peanut butter. Stir until tomato paste and peanut butter are well incorporated. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and add all beans and corn. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
To serve, place a half cup of rice in large bowl and add two ladles of chili. Top with cheddar cheese and chopped scallions.