Baked for the 2010 Serious Eats Cookie Swap
"Family recipes aren't as set in stone as we all like to think. Like for example, this mandel bread. I called my mom for the recipe, which I'd attributed to my Grandma Ruth, only to find out that my mom had started making Nick Malgieri's recipe years ago. So, here is our new family recipe for mandel bread. Thanks to Mom, Grandma, and Nick." —Ben Fishner, SENY Apps Only columnist
Recipe adapted from Nick Malgieri's Cookies Unlimited.
- Yield:Makes about 48 biscotti
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1 cup golden raisins, mini chocolate chips, and walnuts or a combination of the three (Malgieri's recipe calls for almonds, and no raisins or chocolate chips.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Malgieri calls for a teaspoon of almond extract in addition to the vanilla extract, but I skip it.)
- 1/2 cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
- 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon for finishing
Set rack in middle level of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well to mix.
In another bowl, whisk eggs by hand until well mixed. Add sugar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in extract and oil.
Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until all flour is absorbed. Fold in nuts, raisins, and chocolate chips.
On a lightly floured surface, press dough together. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a log the length of your pan (14 to 18 inches). Place each log on pan and flatten slightly. Bake until well-risen and firm, about 25-30 minutes. Cool the logs on the pans and racks.
Reset racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Using sharp serrated knife, slice baked logs diagonally about every 1/2 inch. Place cinnamon-sugar mixture in a shallow dish and turn the cut cookies in it. Return biscotti to the pans, cut side down, and bake until dry and crisp, up to 20 minutes longer.
Store cooled cookies between sheets of parchment or wax paper in tin or plastic container with tight-fitting container.