Glutinous rice cakes are chewy and slightly bouncy. On their own, they don't have a ton of flavor. But glazed with a combination of chili paste, sugar, soy sauce, and vinegar, as they are in this recipe, the little cakes hold their own.
Read more: Seriously Asian: Korean Rice Cakes
- Active time: 10 to 20 minutes
- 6 to 8 fresh long rice cake sticks, or 20 smaller rice cake sticks
- For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Korean chili pepper paste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons light soy sauce, depending on saltiness
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- roasted sesame seeds to garnish
If using fresh rice cake sticks, proceed with step 2. If using refrigerated rice cake sticks, boil according to instructions on package, about 5 to 10 minutes, until soft.
Heat cast iron skillet over high heat. Add olive oil and pan-fry rice sticks for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until lightly brown. Alternatively, brush rice stick with oil and broil for 3 minutes.
Mix ingredients for sauce together. In a mixing bowl, coat rice sticks in sauce and top with sesame seeds. Serve hot or tepid.