Adapted from The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour by Kim O'Donnel.
- Yield:About 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup medium or long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (20-ounce) bag frozen black-eyed peas
- 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup beer (optional)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
- To serve:
- Chopped scallions
- Halved grape tomatoes
- Chopped parsley
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce
Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed 12-inch stainless skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add smoked paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add frozen peas, water, beer, chile and salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes without disturbing. After 25 minutes, check rice for doneness. Mixture should be moist, but not soupy. If mixture appears dry, add additional liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, folding gently with a wooden spoon after each addition until desired consistency is reached, up to 1 additional cup liquid. Return lid and allow to cook for additional 5 minutes.
Season to taste with additional salt and soy sauce, if desired. Serve immediately, topping with scallions, tomatoes, parsley, cheese, and hot sauce as desired.