- Yield:4 as a main dish
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 1 block of firm (cotton) tofu, about 14 ounces
- 1/4 cup dried mei cai
- 3 tablespoons oil, for browning
- 3 tablespoons each of dark soy sauce, sugar, and rice wine
- A one-inch segment of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- Approximately 1 cup water
Cube the tofu into 1-inch pieces. Heat your braising pot with the oil and add the tofu, browning for a few minutes on each side until the tofu is lightly browned.
In the meantime, rehydrate the mei cai in a bowl with cold water, for 10 minutes or until the clumps have unfurled.
Add the mei cai and the rest of the ingredients to the braising pot. Add enough water to cover the tofu, about 1 cup. Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce to a steady simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the liquid has almost boiled down. Add more sugar or soy sauce, as needed. Serve hot or tepid.