- Yield:four as a soup course in a meal
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:overnight
- 1 sheet of dried pig skin, about 5 by 5 inches
- 6 cups best-quality pork or vegetable broth
- a few leaves napa cabbage, bok choy, or leafy green vegetable of your choice
- thinly sliced green onions, to garnish
Soak the sheet of dried pig skin in water to cover, for at least 8 hours and up to a few days in the refrigerator. When you are ready to make the soup, cut the skin into 1-inch chunks and set aside.
Wash and cut your napa cabbage, or another vegetable of your choice. Set aside.
Bring the broth to a boil and add the chopped pork skin and vegetables. Simmer for 20 minutes, until both the cabbage and the skin have fully softened. If you are using a vegetable that takes less time to cook, such as bok choy, add the cut-up vegetables towards the last few minutes of cooking.