Read more: Serious Salad: Thanksgiving in July
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces cold turkey or 2 servings of vegetarian turkey substitute such as Quorn
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 2 cups of string beans
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 2 to 4 cups of mixed spinach and radicchio leaves.
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of a neutral oil, such as canola
- 1 lemon or orange
Steam, green beans until still al dente. Marinate overnight in the oil and vinegar mixture. Top with almonds just before assembling the salad and plate on a bed of lettuce.
Microwave sweet potatoes for two minutes. Slice, crisp and finish in a hot cast iron or nonstick skillet. Squeeze lemon or orange juice on the potato slices, then zest the fruit while still cooking.
Place sweet potatoes on green beans, lettuce, and almonds.
Skillet-cook the vegetarian protein. If using turkey, serve cold. Top the salad with the fake or real turkey and with dried cranberries.