This is what your guests expect when you shout, "Sangria!"
Read more: This Week in Recipes
- 1 orange, cut in quarters and then thin slices
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters and very thinly sliced
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or orange flavored liqueur
- 1 1.5 L (or 2 bottles of 750ml) bottle of red wine (from chart above, Rioja Reds, Malbec, Merlot or Shiraz)
- 2 liters seltzer water or club soda, chilled
In a large container, sprinkle the fruit (orange, lemon and apples) with 1/2 cup of sugar and the lime and orange juices. Stir to combine.
Pour 1/4 cup brandy and Grand Marnier or orange flavored liqueur over the fruit and allow to marinate for no less than an hour, but no more than 4 hours.
Add the red wine and seltzer water or club soda. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
Stir, chill, and add ice just before serving.