It's easy to find a Cajun spice blend at the grocery store. But often those mixes are so salty they overpower the meats and vegetables you'd like to season. This blend amps up the flavor, and pumps the breaks on salt. The resulting spice blend is well balanced, and compliments whatever you choose to put it on.
- Yield:1 1/2 to 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Combine all the ingredients into a spice blender, and grind until fine. Use to season meat, poultry, fish or vegetables. Store in a cool, air-tight container for up to three months.