Read more: Bake the Book: Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Yield:Makes 8 pancakes serving 2 to 3
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- Fruit and/or syrup for serving
Combine ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until homogenous. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and lemon zest in a separate bowl. Add the ricotta mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Some lumps are ok.
In a separate clean bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat until melted. Wipe out with a paper towel. Add four circles of pancake batter using a quarter cup measure. Cook until top side begins to show bubbles, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with remaining butter and batter.
Serve hot with butter, fruit, and syrup.