Lari Robling's Welsh rarebit from Endangered Recipes is a slightly dressed up version of cheese on toast. Using the best-quality English beer and cheese you can find will turn this simple dish into something really delicious. While sliced tomatoes are the traditional accompaniment, Robling likes to serve Welsh rarebit with a creamy tomato soup.
Read more: What to Do with Leftover Easter Eggs
- 1/4 cup English beer or ale
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound English Farmhouse Cheddar, finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 6 slices white bread, such as Pullman or sandwich loaf, crusts removed, cut in half on the diagonal and toasted
In a double boiler, mix beer, mustard, cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over simmering water and add cheese by the handfuls, stirring constantly to make a smooth sauce.
In a 9-inch pie plate, layer toast triangles. Pour sauce over bread and broil until cheese is bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes.