- Yield:4 cups
- 1/2 pound shiitake or cremini mushrooms, stemmed
- 6 tablespoons (3/4) stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
Thinly slice the mushrooms then finely chop the slices.
Add the onion, salt, pepper, thyme, and cook 5 minutes more, until the onion is soft. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and reduce the liquid by at least two-thirds over medium heat-there should only be about 3/4 cup of liquid left in the pan.
Transfer the liquid to a medium saucepan. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and gently stir over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the flour and the nutmeg. Stir for 2 minutes and add the cream. Cook over low heat for 7 minutes, then let cool