- 6 slices bacon (about 3 ounces total)
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped white mushrooms
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
Cook the bacon over medium heat in a skillet until cooked but not crispy. Drain on paper towels and when cool enough to handle, tear or chop into small pieces.
Combine the beef, bacon, onion, mushrooms, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix well. Form into 6 patties. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill: Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. Light the coals or heating elements, and let them burn or heat until hot.
Grill the burgers for about 5 minutes. Turn and grill for 4 to 5 minutes longer for medium-well burgers.