Traditionally, fried rice recipes from Shanghai call for ten different ingredients. This dish is scaled down a bit, but there are still a wide variety of flavors and textures. In addition, there is no need to fear experimentation! Add baby corn, snow peas, mushrooms, or whatever other delicious ingredients you have on hand.
- Yield:4 to 6 servings
- One 2-ounce Chinese sausage
- 3 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, minced with a cleaver or heavy knife or in a food processor
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, for passing through
- 1/3 cup peeled and minced onion
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and minced
- 3 tablespoons thawed frozen baby green peas
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Pinch of ground white pepper
Fill the bottom of an Asian-style steamer with an inch or two of water, and bring it to a boil over high heat. (You can also use a collapsible Western-style steamer in a large saucepan.) Put the Chinese sausage on a plate, place the plate in the steamer, cover, and steam until the sausage is heated through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice it diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
Combine the shrimp, chicken, egg white, cornstarch, and the pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Mix well, and set aside.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add enough oil to come 1 inch up the sides of the wok, and heat it to 300°F. Add the shrimp and chicken, and stir gently unto they turn white, about 45 seconds. Using a wide wire-mesh strainer, transfer the shrimp and chicken to a colander to drain. Discard all but 4 tablespoons of the oil from the wok.
Return the wok with the oil to high heat, and heat until the oil is shimmering. Beat the whole eggs in a small bowl, and add to the wok. Scramble the eggs until they are quite firm and not runny, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Return the shrimp and chicken to the wok, and add the onions and the scallions. Stir-fry until the scallions soften, about 15 seconds. Add the sausage and peas, and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add the rice, white pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir-fry until the rice is piping hot, about 3 minutes. Return the eggs to the wok and stir-fry for a few seconds. Serve immediately.