Traditionally, fried rice recipes from Shanghai call for ten different ingredients. This dish is scaled down a bit, but there are still a wide variety of flavors and textures. In addition, there is no need to fear experimentation! Add baby corn, snow peas, mushrooms, or whatever other delicious ingredients you have on hand.
Win 'The Shun Lee Cookbook'
- Yield:4 to 6 servings
- One 2-ounce Chinese sausage
- 3 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, minced with a cleaver or heavy knife or in a food processor
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, for passing through
- 1/3 cup peeled and minced onion
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and minced
- 3 tablespoons thawed frozen baby green peas
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Pinch of ground white pepper
Fill the bottom of an Asian-style steamer with an inch or two of water, and bring it to a boil over high heat. (You can also use a collapsible Western-style steamer in a large saucepan.) Put the Chinese sausage on a plate, place the plate in the steamer, cover, and steam until the sausage is heated through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice it diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
Combine the shrimp, chicken, egg white, cornstarch, and the pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Mix well, and set aside.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add enough oil to come 1 inch up the sides of the wok, and heat it to 300°F. Add the shrimp and chicken, and stir gently unto they turn white, about 45 seconds. Using a wide wire-mesh strainer, transfer the shrimp and chicken to a colander to drain. Discard all but 4 tablespoons of the oil from the wok.
Return the wok with the oil to high heat, and heat until the oil is shimmering. Beat the whole eggs in a small bowl, and add to the wok. Scramble the eggs until they are quite firm and not runny, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Return the shrimp and chicken to the wok, and add the onions and the scallions. Stir-fry until the scallions soften, about 15 seconds. Add the sausage and peas, and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add the rice, white pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir-fry until the rice is piping hot, about 3 minutes. Return the eggs to the wok and stir-fry for a few seconds. Serve immediately.