The following recipe is from the April 23rd edition of our weekly recipe newsletter. To receive this newsletter in your inbox, sign up here!
Oprah Winfrey is known more for her skills as a television show host and not for her work in the kitchen, so it makes sense that her book The Oprah Magazine Cookbook is her compilation of recipes from famous chefs. This recipe for African chicken in peanut sauce comes from Norma Jean Darden, cookbook author and proprietor of two restaurants and catering company in New York City. This dish calls for browning chicken in a skillet and finishing it off in a creamy coconut milk-based peanut sauce.
- Yield:serves 6
- Spice Rub:
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peanut Sauce:
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely diced and seeded jalapeno chili
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup well-mixed coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
Stir together the spice rub ingredients and rub onto chicken pieces.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add half the chicken and brown on all sides, taking care not to burn the spices. Transfer browned pieces to a platter and set aside. Brown remaining chicken and transfer to platter.
With a paper towel, wipe skillet dry; then add remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion, red and green bell peppers, carrot, garlic, and jalapeno chili. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in remaining sauce ingredients, and simmer 2 minutes. Return browned chicken to skillet. Cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender and cooked through, stirring frequently to prevent sauce from sticking. Turn chicken pieces over midway through cooking time. Garnish with parsley.