And today we have the final installment in this week's Cook the Book series. It's a recipe for Stuffed Cabbag from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking. Stuffed cabbage is easily one of my favorite comfort foods, and though I typically go for a mushroom-onion-and-rice mix, the sweet-and-sour meat-stuffed cabbage here is irresistible.
- 1 extra-large head green cabbage (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 to 1 teaspo
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- 6 gingersnaps, crumbled and soaked in 1/2 cup water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut, corn, or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can imported Italian tomato purée
Notes: Stuffed cabbage reheats beautifully. Reheat in a 350°F oven until heated through.