Whether you're bearing bitter cold times or basking in sunny California—nothing screams comfort food like tomato soup and grilled cheese. So if you're looking for Cozy In a Cup to take the bite off a long day (freezing or not), skip the canned condensed stuff, and check out the creamy tomato soup recipe from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics. It's a simple recipe that would go great with the macaroni and cheese recipe from earlier in the week or its irresistibly buttery, gooey best friend: grilled cheese. Lately, I've been experimenting with floating a slice of crusty bread covered in melted cheese atop the soup (making it French Onion Soup's crazy cousin) with slurptastic success.
- Yield:3 quarts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 26 1/2-ounce boxes vacuum-packed crushed tomatoes, or 10 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 5 1/4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium store-bought chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock, and oregano; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer gently, uncovered, until thickened, about 45 minutes. Remove the oregano sprigs.
Slowly add the half-and-half, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with oregano. Serve hot.