It ain't fancy, but that's a big part of its appeal. Because at the end of a long day—scratch that, a long week—you just want a nice, easy drink. The whiskey sour, with the gentle bite of lemon tempered by a whisper of sugar, is a simple, go-to classic for a reason.
Why It Works
- Shaking with ice chills the cocktail without over-dilution.
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice beats sour mix in terms of flavor and aroma.
- Toasted sugar tastes less sweet than plain, with subtle notes of caramel to complement the whiskey.
Read more: How Old Mr. Boston Got His Groove Back
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: about 15 seconds
- Total time:about 2 minutes
Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker, fill with ice and shake for 10 seconds (if using the egg white, give it a little extra muscle and a little extra time). Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, or into an ice-filled Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with a cherry, a slice of orange, or everything or nothing at all.