I don't even like barbecue chicken, but I like this barbecue chicken. Big Bob Gibson's Hickory-Smoked Chicken is absolutely amazing. I'm eagerly awaiting this weekend's Big Apple Barbecue Block Party, where I hope they'll be making this recipe, which follows after the jump.
Big Bob Gibson's Hickory-Smoked Chicken
- Yield:1.5 cups
- 1 whole chicken, cut in half
- Finely found kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Wash the chicken and season it liberally with salt and pepper.
Smoke over hot coals and hickory wood at 300 to 350 degrees for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
Halfway through the smoking process, baste the chicken with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper once more.