Start the new year off right with this light and tasty quinoa salad topped with delicate greens, citrus, avocado and crunchy almonds. Be sure to soak the red onions in cold water as directed to get rid of any unpleasant raw onion taste.
- For the Quinoa:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- Kosher salt
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from about 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Salad:
- 1 (4-ounce) bag watercress, baby arugula or a blend
- 2 medium oranges, cut into segments
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Bring 1-3/4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa and reduce heat to low; cover and cook until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together the lime juice, orange juice, and honey. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss quinoa with about 1/4 of the dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide amongst serving plates or place on a large serving platter. Toss greens, orange segments, avocado, onions, and almonds in a large bowl with just enough dressing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stop quinoa with dressed greens and serve immediately.