- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breast, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2-inch knob ginger, grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Drained pineapple chunks from 20 ounce can (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces snow peas
- 1/2 cup unroasted cashews, soaked in water for 15 minutes, then drained
- 4 cups cooked rice
In small bowl, whisk brown sugar, cornstarch, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and tomato paste until combined. Whisk in 1/3 cup pineapple juice; set aside.
Heat remaining 1/3 cup pineapple juice in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until simmering. Add chicken and gently cook until chicken is opaque and just about cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside on plate. Discard any leftover liquid in pan and wipe clean with a paper towel.
Add oil skillet and return to medium heat until shimmering. Add ginger, onion, pepper, pineapple, and cook, stirring frequently, until onion and pepper are just beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add snow peas and cook until just beginning to soften but still crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in cashews, chicken, and sauce. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, chicken is cooked through, and entire mixture is coated, about 2 minutes more. Serve immediately over white rice.
12-inch nonstick skillet