- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1/4 pound stick pepperoni, split into quarters lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 pound hot soppressata, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole canned tomatoes, roughly chopped and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces block American cheese, roughly grated or diced
- 6 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese, roughly grated or diced
- 1 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Combine cornstarch, evaporated milk, and eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until homogenous. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add pepperoni and soppressata and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until meat is starting to brown and crisp around the edges, about 4 minutes longer. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat and transfer to a large bowl. Add tomatoes, olives, and pepperoncini to bowl and set aside.
Cook pasta in a large stock pot in salted water according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water. Return to stock pot and add cooking water, butter, evaporated milk mixture, and all three cheeses. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and pasta is creamy and smooth. Stir in sausage/olive/tomato mixture. Stir in basil, reserving some for garnish. Transfer to serving bowl, top with remaining basil, drizzle with olive oil, and serve immediately.